Posted by Ric Santos
Coming off of a very lackluster Impact Wrestling broadcast from Corpus Christi, there was not enough given from the fans or talent to warrant a Making An Impact! article. However, after watching the show again and thinking it over, I do have to gives kudos to two stars who practically saved the entertainment value: “The Phenomenal” AJ Styles and “The Cowboy” James Storm.
“THE PHENOMENAL” AJ STYLES
AJ Styles makes the list for a second week in a row. As mentioned in the first edition of Making An Impact!, AJ Styles is in a great position and appears to be utilizing his new attitude effectively. He also had the only good match on Thursday’s show with James Storm in the main event. It was a very nice touch to wear all black ring gear. Subtleties like that get high marks. Though AJ isn’t a confirmed heel, I’m reminded of Jushin Liger donning black ring gear when he turned heel in Japan to accentuate the turn.
WHAT TO DO
- Keep the program going with “The Cowboy” James Storm and Bad Influence (Christopher Daniels & Kazarian). This is the program that is re-introducing AJ Styles to the new live audiences for TNA wrestling. Build on the tension between he and James Storm, as well as the struggle to get Bad Influence off of his back. Eventually, taking down the Aces & 8′s should be AJ’s priority and booking.
- Try not to stray far from the current persona, if AJ is in fact not turning heel. Too many times when a heel or anti-hero is confirmed as a face, they become sappy and sickeningly goody goody (see Alberto Del Rio over at WWE).
“THE COWBOY” JAMES STORM
Storm is a very likeable character and truly came into is own after splitting with Bobby Roode many moons ago. Storm has knowledge of what TNA fans want to see and this is evident in his matches and non wrestling segments. He is a TNA original, after all. As far as character development, he did not add anything new to the mix. However, what adds him to the list is having a very entertaining main event along with AJ Styles.
WHAT TO DO
- The “cowboy” persona has been built and is James Storm. No reason to change his character in any way.
- Slap some sense into AJ Styles. Storm should have a strong presence with AJ Styles in the ring and in the back. This is where it gets a little tricky as you don’t want James Storm to come off as a villain. However, attacking AJ from behind in the back and things to that extent should be a tactic used to get AJ to see the light and see his point. Tough brotherly love.
- Storm has to insert himself deeper into the Aces & 8′s story outside of the AJ program. He was essential in the beginning when the locker room questioned if he was the leader of the Aces. He will ultimately get there with AJ Styles but he needs to have his own presence and not be a side kick or another one of Team TNA trying to take down the Aces in vain.
TNA’s Impact Wrestling this coming Thursday will originate from Indiana, Pennsylvania for another live broadcast on Spike TV. The live shows and crowds are without question the better of the broadcasts, so let’s hope for high energy emanating from start to finish. Let’s also see where the men, making an impact, go on Thursday.
Do you agree with me and my thoughts? Sound off below and thank you for reading my latest.
If you haven’t been made aware, TNA News’ own Alex Barie (twitter: @AlexAssumptions) will be interviewing Christopher Daniels this Tuesday for what I know will be a great interview for a special Point Of Impact, so don’t miss it!
Until next time: “Don’t hate the playa, hate the game”
Follow me on twitter: @RealRicSantos
Download - iPhone | Android | iPad